Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q990c SmartThings connection issues

(Topic created on: 07-10-2023 01:07 AM)
DeanySevigny
Explorer
Options

I have the Q990c soundbar, and the sound profile in Atmos is absolutely incredible. But like so many other people, it keeps “going offline”, disconnecting from WiFi and needing to be deleted from SmartThings and re-added so I can utilise the app and wireless features of the soundbar.

Has anyone found a sure fire way of keeping this from happening?

20 REPLIES 20
nico1199
First Poster
Options

I’m having the same issue and desperate for a fix. I have the same sound bar and it was working just fine connected via Wi-Fi to my TV for about two months. One day, it decided to only be able to connect via Bluetooth and I have not been able to connect via Wi-Fi. I have to option to select the Wi-Fi connection to the sound at from the tv and get the message that the speakers need to be configured. I select it and then it gives me a connection error — however I can select the speakers via BT just fine. I’ve tried uninstalling the smart things app, resetting the speakers, resetting tv, making a new Samsung account — nothing has worked. Extremely frustrating. The sound via Wi-Fi and BT is night and day. Desperate to have this fixed.

Sunny201
First Poster
Options

I've been having the same issue. I've reset it and re-added it twice, which will work for maybe a day or two but then go back to disconnnected!!

DeanySevigny
Explorer
Options

Hi everyone. After stumbling on a fix that someone else tried for a different Samsung soundbar, I *think* I've finally cracked it. It's been connected to wifi and showing on my SmartThings app for over a week now!

I turned off WPA3 security on my wifi extender (Eero). That's what someone else said they did when they were having the same issue with a different soundbar, and touch wood, so far it seems to have worked.

0 Likes
Tyler8
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue with the same Q990C soundbar. I’ve had to re-add the soundbar 4 times already and it’s super frustrating. You would think if you bought a “high” end soundbar model that you wouldn’t have these super annoying issues… hopefully Samsung fixes this soon. 

DeanySevigny
Explorer
Options

Since switching off WPA3 security on my WiFi extender, it’s been absolutely fine! That was over 2 weeks ago

0 Likes
TGoodale
First Poster
Options

I’m having the exact same issue. It’s a gamble every time I turn it on whether it’s gonna connect or not. Sometimes it lasts three days, sometimes it lasts a week. Like somebody stated above, at this price point it shouldn’t be happening. I don’t have an extender, so turning off the WPA3 won’t really be a potential fix for me. Come on Samsung let’s get a fix.

axwellpl
Student
Options

I’m having the exact same issue with this exact model!

Sicrx
First Poster
Options

Same here. Q990C sounds great when it works but that only lasts for a day or two then it will not connect to the TV. Reset everything and sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. If it works, it's only for a couple days at best. My samsung TV is only a month old so I would think there shouldn't be any problems. I may return the soundbar for a different brand.

0 Likes
DidiAm
Student
Options

I encountered the same problem with my Q990C soundbar; it wouldn't connect to SmartThings. Even when it appeared to connect momentarily, it would soon disconnect. Despite trying various solutions, like resetting the soundbar, removing it from the SmartThings app, and implementing every suggestion I found online, nothing worked. Eventually, I came across advice stating that the Q990C has connectivity issues with 5GHz Wi-Fi networks but functions properly on 2GHz networks. Upon checking my router settings, I realized it was connected to the 5GHz network. Fortunately, my router allowed me to force the Q990C to connect solely to the 2GHz network. After making this adjustment and power cycling the soundbar, it successfully connected to the 2GHz network and has been operating flawlessly for the past three days. I'm sharing this in the hope that it might help others resolve similar issues.